Sunday, May 6, 2012

1st Philippine Popular Music Festival: Call for Submission

Songwriting competitions have been a hit for many decades in the Philippines. Though there have been some gaps due to lack of financial support, it continues to live with the launch of the 1st Philippine Popular Music Festival (PhilPOP). Maestro Ryan Cayabyab, the festival's executive director is inviting all composers, performers and music fanatics to take part in this endeavor to bring back again the glory of songwriting in this country. Deadline of submission of entries is on May 10, 2012.

Fourteen (14) finalists will make the cut to be performed in a competition night to be held at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) on July 14, 2012 (Saturday).

"We are inviting all Filipino composers to come out and share their work. This is your moment to shine. It's high time we once again celebrate the artistry of the Filipino musician. PhilPOP is not just a one-time, big-time shot at fame. It can be that stepping stone to building a long and successful music career," Cayabyab remarks. 

Grand Prize: P 1,000,000.00 + trophy
1st Runner Up: P 500,000.00 + trophy
2nd Runner Up: P 250,000.00 + trophy 
People’s Choice: P 200,000.00 + trophy

Non-winning finalists shall automatically receive P50,000.00 cash and a plaque.

Who Can Join?
        Amateur and professional composers
         Filipino citizens or composers of Filipino descent
         Composers of any age, including minors with written consent from a parent or legal guardian
   Composers who are not involved in the competition. Employees or members of the organizers and administrative, artistic and technical staff, and the panel of judges – including their immediate family members – are not allowed to join the competition.

 Song Entry & Submission Rules
      A song entry may be written in a popular or new song genre, or a fusion thereof, in any form or structure but whose duration must not exceed four (4) minutes.
      Song lyrics may be in Filipino, a Philippine regional language, a Philippine dialect, English, or any combination thereof.
       A song entry must be entirely original. Furthermore, it must not be licensed to any publisher, has not been recorded before and must not infringe on any existing copyright or any other rights.
      A contestant can only enter a maximum of two (2) songs, either as a sole composer or collaborator. Entries with at least one (1) writer (music or lyrics) found in violation of this 2-song rule will merit automatic disqualification. Only the first two entries involving a writer will be accepted. His/her third and succeeding entries will be automatically disqualified.
        Entries can be submitted online at
      The submission facilities of the official competition website will be disabled at 11:59 pm (GMT+8) on May 10, 2012. Competition organizers, however, reserve the right to extend the deadline, the date of which will be posted on the website.
      The competition organizers shall not be responsible for late, missing or lost entries.
      There are no fees or charges for joining this competition.
     The titles of the finalist songs and the names of their respective composers will be posted in the official competition website.
     The artistic and production groups of Philpop reserve the right to approve the interpreter/s for both recording and broadcast performances for each of the 14 finalists.
     Non-residents who make it to the Top 14 must be in the Philippines for the duration of the productions of the recording and finals night.

Screening of Entries
All entries will be screened by a committee coming from diverse backgrounds from the music industry. The entries will be narrowed down to 100.
The 2nd level screening will further pick the Top 30 from the first pass and, with the entire screening committee sitting en banc, will choose the Top 14 songs. The committee members shall use a scoring system to choose the finalists, assigning the numbers 1 to 4, with 4 being the highest.
The Top 14 finalists will be notified and be given stipends to produce their songs in broadcast quality. 

Final Judging
A Final Preliminary judging will be done a few days before the finals which will bear 60% of the total score. The remaining 40% will be added during the final competition night where the judges rate the songs based on performance. The Preliminary Judging and the Finals Night scores shall be tabulated to determine the winners of the competition.
People’s Choice Award shall be given to the finalist that gathers the most number of SMS and online votes from July 1-July 12, 2012.

For more information:

+  Follow me on Twitter and join my Facebook Page.  +

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Hope you can follow me:

FB Pages: |

Twitter/IG/Tiktok/Pinterest: @ronivalle